Final assembly, hopefully finally

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Final assembly, hopefully finally

Final assembly, hopefully finally

So I'm finally doing my final assembly, I think, hopefully at least until it's time for bearings and chains.
    I may get myself in the dog house but decided to hell with it I'm buying the red spring, do it nice or do it twice right? Or in this case 3,4,5,6 times fitting stuff and redoing stuff. I'm a fat guy at 350 lbs and was 6'2" before I broke my back. So I'm thinking holding lower gear longer will benefit me greatly, plus when I'm using it for work instead of play. Am I understanding correctly, that it doesn't make it rev higher or anything negative, just hold lower gear longer so I can use more of my power range? My cam is supposed to be good up to 5000 rpm or so, but il be putt-putting alot on trails where low gear will help too. Any down side for a trail machine to have the red spring? Or is it all positive? Thanks to all who helped me along the way to get this thing back in shape.
    Hopefully by next weekend everything except my custom seat will be done, for the need stuff at least. Eventually il build a body band winch mount, and I'm sure there will be little tweaks here and there.
    DanW

Quick and dirty clutch spring tool. The exhaust clamp is just a spacer so I can get the snap ring pliers in a tad bit easier, I take the saddle off so the one side is open for easy access.
    Attached Images
    DanW

This clutch tool worked much better than the one I slapped together when I went from yellow to green last year or so.
    DanW

Attached Images
    DanW

Transmission in, all hooked up and adjusted. Engine in and clutch lined up. Chains all adjusted. Tire pressure all set to 4psi. Fuel system and electrical next, then get the upper on and build a seat and new bed. Then I guess we can call it macaroni baby! Should be terrorizing the trailer park next snow storm, muhahahahaaa!!!
    DanW

Custom seat and picking at the little stuff.
    Attached Images
    DanW

hey dan ...your the man !! you 've done a great job . that first ride should be very fulfilling after all the work . seat looks good. what are the ideas for cushions , etc. ? may be a few tweaks after the maiden voyage , but thats fun too .. johnboy va.

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    hey dan ...your the man !! you 've done a great job . that first ride should be very fulfilling after all the work . seat looks good. what are the ideas for cushions , etc. ? may be a few tweaks after the maiden voyage , but thats fun too .. johnboy va.
    I found some 5" medium density upholstery padding and I'm going with marine canvas in a light to medium grey color. I might end up cutting the current cage off and building something different if my head gets into the current one. I tried to mimick my wheelchair dimensions so my legs are positioned in a manner that the pressure is fairly even across my rear and thighs so I'm not causing any sores. I was going to go with vinyl for simplicity cleaning but I opted for the canvas for breathability even if it's miniscule it should still feel better on long days than vinyl. I forgot how much little things there are and I'm a stickler double triple and quadruple checking my work so I'm not advancing as quickly as I'd like but like they say do it nice or do it twice, even though alot of things have already been done two three and four times lol. This thing is going to make my life do much better, and fun. I can hardly wait to get it out and knock out some coyotes and whistle pigs. And as always thank you John boy, your knack for innovation inspires me to unleash some creativity and get out of the box a bit. It ain't pretty but it's mine lol.
    DanW

The downside is I might need to make new laterals but after this adventure over the past 2+ years that ain't nothing but small potatoes.
    DanW

Hey Dan:
    I've been keeping up with your build and am impressed by what you have done.
    From your description of yourself, you are a big person. I don't want to rain on your parade, but based on my running around in all shapes and sizes of these machines, it sounds like you need a bigger machine. While I love running around in an agile little Max2, I am thoroughly beaten up after a few hours of riding. No offense meant, but it sounds like you need an 8 wheeler which will perform so much better for a large person than a small machine. Just playing devil's advocate.

+ Reply to Thread