Argo 2001 bigfoot problem

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argo 2001 bigfoot problem

Argo 2001 bigfoot problem

Was driving my Argo and fighting through deep snow when it started to blow blue smoke that smelt like oil. Got home and check oil level and it was way up on the dipstick and had gas in the oil. The air filter was soaked in oil.I drained all the oil out and replaced it to the proper level. The Argo started as usual and drove great. Some residue smoke from the exhaust and stopped. Check the oil level and it was fine. Any ideas???
    It is Briggs Vanguard 18 HP
    Last edited by 9.3; 02-28-2021 at 02:47 PM.

The crankcase ventilation on these units is down in the valley under the air cleaner base. There’re a rubber elbow that connects the air cleaner to the crankcase breather (that silver thing under the carb). It sounds like your motor might have developed enough crankcase pressure to force oil past the piston rings which would result in the condition you described. Check your plugs to see if they’re oily and clean/replace. Have you redone the top end in yours or set the valves anytime recently? It’s super easy to do.

Also, it’s also super easy to replace the original 2001 motor with a brand new one for less than $1000 if needed. My worn out 18 has been pulled and will be rebuilt for another project.
    Located in Western Montana

2003 Argo Bigfoot 31hp Spray Rig

I had the exact same thing happen. I figure that the fuel shut off solenoid had frozen open allowing raw fuel to seep into the motor while it was stopped. It had been very cold prior to that and perhaps there had been a bit of water in the gas. (Condensation?). Never happened again after I changed the oil and installed a water separating fuel filter in place of the old in-line filter.

Up date on my problem. Dealer advised me that the float most likely stuck and allowed fuel into the cylinders that went by the rings into the crankcase. It was a real cold day when this happened. I drained crankcase and replaced the oil and have been driving with no problems. I also put gas line antifreeze in the gas. I will take it to the dealer come spring and have carb kit installed, compression test, valves adjusted and new fuel filter.

Think about a fuel filter that will trap water. They fit in-line like the others but have a bowl with both the in and out connections at the top rather than being cylindrical with the inlet and outlet on the ends. Water is heavier than gasoline and does not mix. The water beads fall into the bowl and are trapped there rather than being sucked through to the carburetor.

+ Reply to Thread