2-1/2 questions about 2021 Argo 6x6

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2-1/2 questions about 2021 Argo 6x6

2-1/2 questions about 2021 Argo 6x6

I am thinking (just thinking) about buying new to avoid certain bureaucratic issues with older machines.
    Question 1: The Argo comparison chart has some stuff, like a ROPS, as standard, optional, or N/A for the cheapest model. Does N/A mean that a ROPS, for example, would be difficult or impossible to add later? I expect there must be some reinforcement behind the plastic or antler-type stuff on the frame to make hard points for a ROPS.
    Question 2: Is the 6x6 relatively stronger than the 8x8 with similar bearings, chain, & sprocket stuff? It must weigh less, at least a pair of wheels & gear less.
    Question 2-1/2: (Half-Argo question) Is Argo the only brand of new 6x6 available? The Mudd-Ox page has only 8x8 models as far as I can tell. And all that 1970's product literature for the other brand names I see on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Tour1 View Post
    I am thinking (just thinking) about buying new to avoid certain bureaucratic issues with older machines.
    Question 1: The Argo comparison chart has some stuff, like a ROPS, as standard, optional, or N/A for the cheapest model. Does N/A mean that a ROPS, for example, would be difficult or impossible to add later? I expect there must be some reinforcement behind the plastic or antler-type stuff on the frame to make hard points for a ROPS.
    Question 2: Is the 6x6 relatively stronger than the 8x8 with similar bearings, chain, & sprocket stuff? It must weigh less, at least a pair of wheels & gear less.
    Question 2-1/2: (Half-Argo question) Is Argo the only brand of new 6x6 available? The Mudd-Ox page has only 8x8 models as far as I can tell. And all that 1970's product literature for the other brand names I see on the forum.
    Argo lists some things for safety, for instance water usage, the rops on new machines are mounted and made different than past models.
    Stronger no, base models have less power so longevity of parts may benefit if not overloaded.
    As far as currently available new us model 6x6 I believe so.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Tour1 many people have built their own rops , more for enclosing cab in than for roll over protection. The new 6x6 are nice machines. They have good prices on them

Quote Originally Posted by Tour1 View Post

Reference your last question: there are other 6x6's being made, some Chinese and several Russian. The real question is: Can you find or purchase one in north America and if you can (very possible) can you get parts for them in North America?

A little more thought on the questions: Right now the best choices on the market are the 6x6 Argos, you can actually buy a base model Argo for a lot less money than they sold for years ago. Reference power, chains sprockets, durability. The Standard 18 horse Frontier 6x6 will serve you for years if you take care of it. It is easy to service and will do almost any thing you ask of it. It swims well with the 24" tires and comes standard with a lot of features that would cost you extra dollars and few years ago. Having Seen Ricks yellow 6x6 Frontier at Busco for years I can tell you these are very good machines.

I'm still trying to climb my hill by machine, following the bread crumbs and considering time as much as money.
    I saw a Vietnamese micro-excavator online for half the price of an Argo, I figure the shipping, taxes, and months on a freighter will bring the cost up until the local market is competitive again. Something similar might happen with Chinese & Russian stuff, up to a point. Another constraint might be to buy from a NY dealer, or specify that DMV registration has to be done before delivery, somehow, it could get complicated.
    I figure with the hill climb the ROPS may be a necessity, and it should be good enough to make rollovers inexpensive, not just survivable. Of course as the options add up so does the sticker price.

I know money is a factor, but I personally would never own a 6-wheel amphibious ATV. We all have different needs, but I jokingly tease people all the time that they’re making a huge compromise in settling for a 6x6 vs. 8x8 when shopping. Some folks just use their machines for cruising w/friends (dragging main st.), and that’s okay. It’s kinda like the single cab short bed pickup that teenage girls drive😊 no offense of course. By going with an 8x8 with a longer wheelbase, you will greatly increase your stability. It is far more difficult to tip an 8-wheeler lengthwise (by far) than a 6-wheeler. In fact, I’ve never had a rops on any 8-wheel machine I’ve owned. But, I’ve nearly tipped 6-wheel machines trying to take the same route that the 8-wheelers walked right through no problem. Up here virtually everyone who ends up starting out with a 6-wheel argo (for whatever reason) upgrades in short order as budget allows. I try to warn everyone to save them the trouble, and 6x6’s are very hard to sell in the Alaska market. If possible I would strongly consider searching/waiting for a deal on an 8x8. In fact, with an 8x8, a trailer is seldom if ever needed if your reasonably smart about your gear. And this holds true for very long hunting trips.

+ Reply to Thread