How smooth running is a 2006 Argo Avenger Kohler 26 HP

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How smooth running is a 2006 Argo Avenger Kohler 26 HP

How smooth running is a 2006 Argo Avenger Kohler 26 HP

I know this is an odd question, but I just bought a 2006 Avenger. I got it cheap because the guy said it wasn't running right. Upon inspection I discovered that the oil was too full and the plugs were fouled and some foaming in the oil. I reduced the oil to the proper level and it is now running better and the plugs are turning grey. The question is, how smooth are these Kohler twins. The engine does smoke a bit (grey) on choke at cold start. It has a slight bog, again when cold. At speed you can feel the governor working. The engine does thump a bit at idle, kind of like a mild Harley.

Just wondering if this is all normal now as I don't want to drag it in to get looked at....

Bought an 04 avenger/kohler a few years back with 130 hours. Puff of smoke on cold starts and sound like a diesel on idle.
    400 hours later....same. Can’t comment on “bogging “ problem..?

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    Over full is worse than a little low. Not too low mind you. The oil will cavitate thus giving you a foaming action you have described. A bit of smoke on a choked cold start is not unusual as is a boggy engine when it is cold. Why was the engine over full would be my question. Did you smell it? Could be a choked engine or a poorly carbed engine could get an excess of gas in the oil. Maybe the other guy just read the dipstick wrong. Easy done. Some you read screwed in all the way, others you don't. Can't remember if that engine is a screw in or push in. Most Kohler that I have worked on are pretty smooth. The kind of thumping COULD be one cylinder getting a bit less fuel than the other or a bit more or could be ......? nothing. Just the nature of the beast. More familiar with Briggs.

I would say that's how it runs. I'm kind of surprised, because I have an 83 Argo with a Kohler KT17 and I find that this new Aegis engine doesn't run any smoother than it. I would have thought that 23 years more development would have produced a much smoother engine.

my 31 hp kohler has a good thump to it as well.just the way they are.

I would agree with the above. My 2005 Avenger with a 25 h.p. Kohler is a little lumpy when it’s idling.

I, too, have a 2005 Avenger with a 26hp Kohler. It idles and runs pretty smooth, but cold weather starts are a bit of a challenge, sometimes.
    "...So sayeth the Coffinman..."

I'm assuming your 31 hp is an EFI. If so, how does it start in the cold? Does it need much warmup time? Any problems with that engine?

yes my 31hp is EFI and it starts great in the cold.ive left it outside overnight in -35 deg weather just to see if it starts good.warm up time for me is 5 min or so at that temp.gives it time to warm up the inside of the machine.

+ Reply to Thread