I know the track issue has been beat to death but...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I know the track issue has been beat to death but...

I know the track issue has been beat to death but...

Why are the rubber Argo tracks so wide? Seems like they should be able to make them narrower so you don't need extensions. Perhaps there's a reason that they are 18" wide rather than say, 13"?

The wider tracks provide for a lower footprint (PSI) and greater floatation. Argo does offer a 13" plastic track.

I know this but most say the plastic tracks aren't very good for hard surfaces.
    Rubber seems like a better choice for all around use but why do they need to be so wide, is my question.

maybe because most of the tires that use the rubber tracks are wide to start with. by the time you add the track cleats with guides, you have a fairly wide track. the adair shackle style tracks for the max 2 end up being 13'' wide . they fit a 11'' wide tire and the cleats add 1'' on each side. you can make your own tracks with rubber belting and homebuilt guides and keep them almost as narrow as the tire they are going to be used on. johnboy va.

I think the rubber Argo track is designed to handle snow under powder conditions where a wide track is absolutely essential to stay on top of the snow. A lot of Canadians run the 20 inch wide rubber track and swear by it for powder conditions. The 13 inch plastic track doesn't seem to work as well as tires in mud and swamp conditions, anyone who has seen the plastic tracks in action doesn't want any thing to with them, my own observation is that the 24 inch Argo swimmer tire and the rawhide III will out perform plastic tracks on a 6x6 or 8x8, if you have the power and really want to step up to the plate you can't beat the 13 1/2 inch wide ASX.

13.5" ASX I will have to google this....and....nothing comes up on a google search. Can you elaborate on this type of track with more info please?
    Last edited by mowbizz; 05-28-2017 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mowbizz View Post
    13.5" ASX I will have to google this....and....nothing comes up on a google search. Can you elaborate on this type of track with more info please?
    Tires, not Tracks :-)
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/tire-...ire-video.html

RD

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    Wow do you even need tracks with those tires??
    Mean looking for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by mowbizz View Post
    Wow do you even need tracks with those tires??
    Mean looking for sure!
    These are the tires Mike uses on his modified MaxIV, I ran them on my MaxIV, J.P. Swift ran them on his Hustler, There are a lot of videos posted of the these tires in action including the one I recently posted.

I'd be pretty surprised to see any tire beat a 13" wide track setup on an Argo in the swamp/muskeg conditions I ride in. We've tried with tires and no comparison even to 13" tracks on a conquest. I'm even impressed how well the 13" tracks work in the mud and even more impressed with the 18" superwide plastic tracks in comparison to my Escargo 22" wide metal tracks and my older 18" wide Argo rubber tracks. The Plastics just don't cut it on hard surfaces and are super noisy on ice and hard packed trails in the winter.
    I miss my rubber tracks for their smoothness and high speed. They pack down a rutted up trail nicely too and don't hurt a gravel road which my Escargo's chew up pretty aggressively. Next in line is to buy a set of Adairs to try out and can't leave out the Channel tracks for $hits and giggles...
    Also planning on getting an 8 wheel Argo Tub trailer here soon with the 24" tires and 18" and 13" wide tracks for it. Then I can have a track for every situation and environment I plan to use them in for the Argo and for the trailer! Just don't think I could ever go back to a non-swimming track though. Been spoiled with the Escargo's that way, they just may be a bit too aggressive and slow for my overall use and would like to try the others to compare to.

+ Reply to Thread