8x8 ARGO back up onto ice

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 8x8 ARGO back up onto ice

8x8 ARGO back up onto ice

Here is a short video of my friend getting the Avenger back up onto the ice.

Last edited by Mike; 03-06-2017 at 05:59 PM. Reason: embedded video by removing the "s" in https://

that avenger sounds sweet

Nice job! It looks like you've done this a time or two? It's always good to be prepared.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Sweeet! Looks like a lot of margin for error on the winch attachment part lol. I could see myself messing that part up.

yeah lol.good idea to have a floaty or a string on the pin and tie it to something so if you do drop it your hopeless.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    yeah lol.good idea to have a floaty or a string on the pin and tie it to something so if you do drop it your hopeless.
    You are right Curtis.Maybe the little yellow foam key fob that came with my new Argo?

I saw this video posted on facebook and made the recommendation that I would get in the habit of spooling out some line and attaching the hook somewhere inside the tub before I leaned over the side with a $400 winch in my cold wet hands lol Good video and we use the same anchoring system for our safety lines while ice diving.

but when the ice isnt hard enough to jump out onto say,would the Argo be able to get out of it without the aid of a winch or another vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    but when the ice isnt hard enough to jump out onto say,would the Argo be able to get out of it without the aid of a winch or another vehicle?
    No, it would be like trying to drive out of a bucket of water and if you managed to get enough traction you would most likely take on water at the front from the angle without a winch line to pull the back end down. In that situation you would be best served to keep chipping away at the edge of the ice until you get back to something thick enough to stand on. A 6x6 or 8x8 exerts less ground pressure than you do standing on the ice, if the ice will support you it will support the Argo.

Sure it would! But not backwards. Head in front on. If the ice is weak, the Argo will break it until it reaches some that is more solid and then it WILL pull itself out. I have a video in ice ... yes, I know it's with tracks, but it will still do it without! https://youtu.be/e-W1j8gvN5s

+ Reply to Thread