Dumpster diving for Kohlers!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dumpster diving for Kohlers!

Dumpster diving for Kohlers!

I spotted this sitting on top a trash dumpster where they where cleaning up around a vacant house. Same 16hp Kohler that is in my Hustler i thought to myself. I wanted it for a parts engine. I knocked on the neighbors door and it was their property and said i could have it. After watching me load it up she said that the motor runs and waved bye to me. Got it home, put gas in it, hooked to battery, fixed split gas line end and turned it over and she fired right up. I thought for sure that the generator unit must be bad. Plugged my grinder in each outlet and they all worked fine. I dont know why anyone would throw out a good run generator set but im glad they did. Still looking for spare parts engine! lol

Good Find!!!!! We have our spring cleanup days once a year and there is always a good find.. Not as good as that one.....
    Dezi Gebel
    2 Early 70's Argo's Will Merge To Make One!

Awesome deal, it's always good to get something free and not have to put money into it..

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    There wasn't an original copy of the constitution, or some rare piece of art stuck in the exhaust by any chance, was there? Ya know some people are just lucky that way, must be you're one of them! Did you happen to buy a powerball ticket right after that, did ya pal, huh friend , what do you say buddy?

well, it's not a Kohler, but it floats. i just scored a free boat!. my mother in law asked me saturday if I wanted a boat, friend of hers was giving it away. everything works, it just needs a new rubber boot to seal the transom to the outdrive. the boot is $120 and should take about an hour to replace, it will take me longer than that to get it all cleaned up clear title on boat and trailer. SCORE!!!
    Attached Images
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Any kind of idea as to how many watts the generator is rated for. Whatever the rating, it's a great find! There is nothing better than "F-R-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

If it's a Mercruiser, you'll have fun replacing the Bellows, small hands are a good friend on those. Also don't forget the sealer/glue on the bellows, leaks here are bad, even tiny ones sink boats quick. Good luck, you got a nice fun boat there, now just get it wet
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

once i get it fixed and cleaned up, i'm probably gonna sell it (after i play with it a bit). we already have a small armada.... pontoon, jon boat, canoe, and 3 amphibs. i'm out of storage space for another boat! the bellows doesn't look like fun to change out, but it can't be that bad.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    the bellows doesn't look like fun to change out, but it can't be that bad.
    (Sorry, been there done that, and have a new one to go in this year, it sure beats replacing the gimbal bearing though. (Oh, you know not to grease the Gimbal bearing unless the drive is installed? If you grease it with the drive out it can get knocked out of alignment, and bye-bye splines )
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

+ Reply to Thread