The master build thread for K.I.T.T But aplicable to all others.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The master build thread for K.I.T.T But aplicable to all others.

yes please do, im not sure how that will allow me to run a HDI axel in the front? But thanks for helping good buddy! cant wait to see the drawing. guess i had better go get that frame out of there so i can do some work on it! And they quit putting the tube in there for the HDi machines.... different bearing extensions too!

Fenders up

other side up

That didnt turn out too bad! Im sure ill have to do it again before i put it all back together, i keep on leaning on them and putting heavy stuff on it!

TIRE RUB OF DOOM:

more rub... i see daylight!

there is a hole in the argo dear friends dear friends with what shall i mend it dear friends dear friends..... what is the red stuff? silicone or fiber glass???? HMMM
    Last edited by spookum; 06-20-2012 at 11:10 PM.

Video of my helpers removing the lug nuts.... ages 24 months and like 40 months..

Argo axel removal:

Step one, get a big hammer and a drift. Unscrew all flange bolts inner and outer, unscrew the locking collars on the bearings. Use PB blaster liberaly.

Smack the stupid out of the axles from the inside of the frame using the drift and hammer, or if that wont work, turn the Ball Ping hammer around and have helper whack it with a splitting maul!

Except for the right rear axel. I can move the bearing down the shaft but not off!

Time for the secret wepon! A custom built aatv axel extractor, it has in the past SHEARED set screws and amazed people! Special thanks for AKbufftruck!

that part is clamped on. Now to assemble the part that attaches to the axel flange:

or if i had no flange, in the case of a broken axel (if it slides, i can beat the end of the axel stub till it flairs out)

This is how it looks assembled. Just back up the inner nuts and turn the outer screws to put tension on the axel shaft.

Tension, PB blaster, smack the silly out of the axel, and smack it some more.

I think it has enough bow in the inner frame rail. How much further can i bend it and not permanently deform the frame? If i couldnt move the out board bearing i would be forced to measure and cut 2X4 wood to shim one frame to the other.... and then i could REALLY pull on it and not worry about bending the frame.

plan B: (plan c is the old cutting torch, but i dont want to do that in the plastic tub)

HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW SUCKER?????

Hind sight being 20-20 i think i mushroomed the end of the axel by hitting it too hard for too long and not in a strait line. A bigger diamater drift would have helped with that! It was really hard to get the tube for the sprocket off, so i took a little bit of material off the end where it could have been mushroomed, and slid it off by hand!

Special thanks agian to the great AKbufftruck for the sweet tool! hope i never see it again
    Last edited by spookum; 06-24-2012 at 02:55 AM.

Looks like you have a nice job ahead of you.....But on the bright side you have 2 GREAT helpers to keep you in line....
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by guyfox View Post
    Looks like you have a nice job ahead of you.....But on the bright side you have 2 GREAT helpers to keep you in line....
    You know it! The great thing about the helpers is that when this is done, they will tottaly be dady's little girls. Spending time like this helps (i have been told) when they bring home mr wrong, they *may* take dad a little more serously.

Now the TOUGH part. Grinding and welding with them around. Not quite big enough to stay out of harms way, and not look at the arc.

Update: G-10 news and transmission news for this build

Pulled the G-10 out of the metro and got it to run

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/engin...into-aatv.html

and the build of the Polaris P85 clutch adapter (From a a 2000 to a 2005 Polaris 700 or 800)

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/engin...h-adapter.html

Can use a polaris secondary on the tranmission with minimal modifications (yippie)

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/trans...tml#post123985

Going to take a 4X8 sheet and have 4 exterior frame rails built and a smaller 4 footer for frame rail extension (so i can fit the HDi axel shafts in the front)

Stay tuned! Should be fun

axel extensinos are being stamped out tomorow. 1 sheet 4' by 8 ' of ten gauge, 140$ USD. one peice 2'long by 6 inches wide. and 4 peices 7'6" long by six inches wide. all peices will be bent into 1" by 4" channel. 1 will cut the 2' peice in half for frame rail extensions. The rest will require holes cut and jigged together to be placed out side of the frame and tub. The outboard bearing will be the HDi bearigns, the middle will be the stock 62 mm argo bearings and the inner frame rail will be normal inner HDi axel bearings.

This should reinforce the frame immensly. IF it isnt strong enough, i can tie them together out side the body (and have an exterior bumper), and back up into the belly band (yet to be fabricated out of steel) and THAT would be stuipid strong. I think i can run 16 wheels with this set up, and i think i wont bend anything. Even with the suzuki engine, and i will be still using double 50 chains all the way through!

extending the inner frame rails to change from LONG axel shafts to SHORT HDi axel shafts

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...e-machine.html

Now that i have the front frame rails extended out, it is time to reinforce the rear of the frame and have a soild point for mounting up the rear hitch. I bolted the peice on the argo, and squared it.

Now for some 1.5 by 1.5 angle iron 1/8 inch thick.

Flip the argo over, and weld the belly pan on. I should have tacked it to the inner frame rails in the front. it got hot and bowed it down a little bit. Dang

Last edited by spookum; 08-13-2012 at 05:13 PM.

yeahaw!

Polaris orange spring and "1A" weights (47.9 Grams). Super thanks again to AKbufftruck. The man is a machine, he and I fabbed up motor mounts in 7 hours. WOW. 12 inches center to center and a 16 MM off set.

Couldnet get the "orginal" polaris clutch to work. Turns out it was for an 800 Sportsman not a polairs snow mobile. Crazy how many parts DID innerchange!

Normal argo clutch is 2:1 and 1:1 . The Polaris Snow mobile is 3.84:1 and .76 :1 respectivly. Any bets on how fast it will go..... i know fast enough to scare me an i really want the low end grunt. But hey, just one pass with the GPS. Probbably about as fast as one with a 440 in it.

Happy to watch! Good luck!

Thanks! Got the frame and bearing extensions finished, cleaned and painted. Started to tie up odds and ends on the argo engine/ power pack.

+ Reply to Thread