Combat Vehicle Simulator Build

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Combat Vehicle Simulator Build

Combat Vehicle Simulator Build (Attex 8x8)

Ok, so just short of 2 weeks is my limit! I caved today and tore the tank trainer down to a pile of parts. Took about 2.5 hours to strip it down. My racer was the first full tear down I ever did, and it required the sawzall, torches and a cut off wheel for nearly every step. I'm glad that one was so tough because every one sense has seemed easy in comparison

Tear down went pretty well. a few axles were tough, but no WMD's were required to get it apart. All the parts look to be original including axles which is pretty amazing.

The Body is hammered and will take DAYS of plastic welding to put back together. I thought my Hustler Bigfoot tub was bad, but it was just a warm up for this one. I ordered 2lb of ABS welding rod yesterday and I'm wondering if that will be enough.

Preliminary inspections of the frame reveal no cracks or broken welds, but once I get it clean some might surface.

The T-20 has a broken off fill plug to be dealt with. The pivots for the tongue depressors are mangled (really old style T-20). This is the first one of this case style that I have ever seen in person, and I have an idea on fixing the pivots, but I'm not sure if it will work. I will know more on that once I get it torn apart.

The plan as of now for the rebuild is to use Argo axles, sprockets, and outer bearing flanges for the drive line (with a lot of help from Lewis, and Ken Bost). I want to replace the chain adjusters in one location with a different style. The engine will be the stock 18hp Vanguard that was removed from Beths Max II. If I can't fix the case on the transmission, I will throw my spare in this machine and once again be on the hunt for a spare T-20. Other than the addition of a full poly skid plate, the Body will be put back to original OD green and I will try to duplicate the paint scheme that it had while in possession of the US Army. On top of all the cracks, the body has also sagged badly over the years, so I will copy the skeleton that Hydromike added to Big 5 in an attempt to give her a lift. Thanks to Gus Marrone, I have an original roll cage, and a NOS floor pan so I don't have to fix the ones that came with the machine.

I realize I've set the bar pretty high with the time line on my last few builds, but this one will be a much slower process. I figure a solid week just on the body. Funding for this project is still slightly in the negative as well... not that I've ever been stopped by that before
    Last edited by racerone3; 05-23-2011 at 10:33 PM.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I knew you could not resist. Glad you have the time to work on it. I can see you spending hours just on repairing the holes and cracks in the tub. Looking forward to seeing it at the Fall Busco ride in October. Hopefully I'll have a 980 Bigfoot by then.

I bet a Peterbilt or Kenworth air suspension seat would make a very nice pilot seat in that rig. It looks like there's enough room in there for a real nice one!National Seating Standard Plus Truck Seat — Gray Cloth | Suspension Seats | Northern Tool + Equipment Yeah, they are a little pricey, but you could probably get a used leather one for a little less; and the ride with an air seat is like night and day over a mechanical suspension seat.
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Sweet!!!! I cant wait!
    Do you plan on doing some of the metal reinforcements that hydroMike did?

Go Race! Next week-end. I have a sander! Hey, and sanding party!!!
    Dogs and burger and six guys sanding and welding! Just a thought!

I know ashtabula may not be in the cards right now. But I plan on motivating you by saying....we should have a tank trainer race this year!!! Hey hydromike I know you would be down with this. Lets convince brian it's a good idea.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    I know ashtabula may not be in the cards right now. But I plan on motivating you by saying....we should have a tank trainer race this year!!! Hey hydromike I know you would be down with this. Lets convince brian it's a good idea.
    An 8x8 class would be interesting.

I've been sick as a dog with no energy, and Mower business has been really slow. Perfect conditions for a few days of plastic welding. 17 hours and 45 feet of ABS welding rod has the lower tub back in one piece. Once the cracks were welded I decided to try an Idea that I've been toying with for some extra strength. I mixed some really thin ABS Goo and soaked fiberglass cloth in it. Brushed the body with acetone several times to get it soft, then wrung the cloth out to get rid of the excessive goo and laid it in place. Hopefully it will stick better than fiberglass resin and add some much needed strength Once I split the body and can flip the lower tub upside down, I plan to do the same in any areas that will be covered by the skid plate.

today I got the exterior of all the cracks in the upper body welded and the paint mostly sanded off.

Tomorrow I hope to get the body halves separated and weld the inside of the upper. Those welds will also get the Goo/ Fiberglass treatment (only on the inside of the body).

I needed to put the frame and drive line back together to work on some alignment issues and to replace a couple bad chain adjusters. Temptation got the best of me, and I had to make it drivable
    This is actually rather handy as I can drive it into the shop to work on it, but it can live under a tarp in the back yard freeing up a bay in my shop for mower work. As a bonus, it's a blast to drive!
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Awsome race,

I was toying with the fiberglass cloth idea too. I've got 2 holes i can stick my head through on my racer, and i read on a camper forum that it works and ads strength. I also think Its pretty cool your driving the frame around.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Race, Great Idea with the fiberglass cloth. You sure do work fast. Glad to see it coming along. Are you bringing it to ash? Im not sure what I am doing or if I am going but if I do go and bring my trainer and assuming Mike C does too it would be cool to have 3 trainers together there. Last year it was cool for Mike and I to have 2 together. I got a lot of bugs worked out of mine that I had last year as I only had a couple weeks to throw a motor in and get everything else up to stuff. Im not sure if Im going though so we will have to see. Great work so far though!

+ Reply to Thread