Joe's 252 Colt Trail Machine "Gadget"

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe's 252 Colt Trail Machine "Gadget"

Joe's 252 Colt Trail Machine "Gadget"

I will try real hard to post pics and info as I go on this one.I really wanted to document Gizmo during her build but was just too overwhelmed by the amount of work this really is,the fact that I had no idea what I was doing (still don't),and the discouragement of two major set-backs. A destroyed 23hp Kohler after her "maiden" voyage wkend and then a busted T-20 output shaft,first outing after a new 20hp Kohler was installed. The roots of those issues have been identified,so this isn't going to be happening again(time to destroy something else)
    So,here goes. Sat 11-3-2012 I made a trip to Clark,PA. to pick up this beauty. This machine is in really nice shape. It appears to have been "protected" from the elements quite well over the years. I am washing old grease and oil from my hands not rust and dust. Here are my first two photos,taken at Holiday camplands in Andover,OH.Just stopped by here to shut some things down before heading to Cleveland.

Joe.

First pics from Cleveland. The entire right side turns freely with both chains still on,a little cumbersome with flattened tires but,free turning none the less.The left side rear outer brg is completly destroyed which allowed the rear chain to start to derail and begin hanging things up. I was sort of in a hurry to get this one tucked in the garage(I wanted it to be a surprise to someone and knew she(wife) was due home any minute now),so after the quick once over lookin for the master link,I rushed to the scene with handy die grinder and cut-off wheel.In aprox 10 seconds two issues where solved,much eaiser to roll and the master link has now been found(2 links down from the one I just cut!) Next stop,tucked away in the garage.

Joe.
    Last edited by JoeMeg; 11-05-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Nice find, Joe. With a little work it should be beautiful!
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Ahh, so you bought the colt on Ebay. I was almost tempted to bid then common sense took over for me (way too many projects already) Glad you got it.

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by kghills View Post
    Ahh, so you bought the colt on Ebay. I was almost tempted to bid then common sense took over for me (way too many projects already) Glad you got it.

Keith.
    Yes,I did,thank you. In fact the auction went kinda funny.I wasn't the high bidder for days,then the reserve was removed and then I re-became the high bidder at only $11 more than my last.Got my electicity back on 1/2 hr before the auc. ended Tues. eve. Set out to just watch it expire,never expecting to actually WIN. IDK if other interested bidders were w/o pwr or what,but this thing never budged from my amt til ended and that is how I won it! I talked to the seller about that and He said that a (higher than me) bidder retracted his bid with sincerities,that is how I ended up being high bidder.So,regarding that,I would just like to say that if that was anyone from the site,Thank you very much! (its really nice to get a great deal every now and again!) and,also,this is where I got the little JLO I put the post up about earlier.

Joe.

All tucked away in the garage. This is where she'll be sitting for a few weeks.

This will be her beverage of choice for the first couple weeks.Gotta get the "outside the lower tub" stuff apart first.

The exhaust system,beginning with the flange and the large "backing" plate,along with the insulating material appear to be in remarkable shape.The stuff on the outside looks real good too. I not only want to incorporate this into the build,but,also don't want to disturbe any of this while taking the frame out,we'll see

Just a couple more pics of the inside.

This is what the right front chain did.

Joe.

Found a few minutes Tues eve,by now the tub is almost sitting on the floor

Broke em loose with a 3/8 drive breaker bar,finished removing them with the impact wrench however,a ratchet would have sufficed but too lazy to go to the basement to fetch one,besides,still had a cold one in the garage.

This one is going really well.I'm sorta glad that I had to spend sooooo much time on Gizmo. I'll tell ya,I'm not the least bit intimidated by this one.It's a good feeling.

This will be a nice experience to assist with my racer which is also a 252 Colt.

Joe.

Inside the machine the left side frame,etc are not in as nice a shape as the right side however,the "lug nuts" on the left were in pretty good shape. I cracked em all loose a 3/8" breaker bar then used the impact wrench to spin them off. The right side appears to be the side that was packed with mud when put away,the hardware is nasty. The middle wasn't as bad as the front and rear.

I will try this implement of destruction

I need to put more pics in my gallery then I'll post up some more.

Joe.

Got the front right off with the aid of the die grinder

And now,last,but not least,the right rear.

Took the flange bolts out,slid the whole assy out a bit and was for a minute.Was turning the wheel fwd/backward,sprocket stationary against frame,yet the end of the axle is not turning!?! This is why

This is my first experience cutting an Attex axle.However,I can see,amongst other things,that this should prove to be an effective method of removal.I don't mind making new axles,mat'l is not too expensive and labor is easy.

This make short work of 1" steel

This stuff helps a lot too.

Joe.
    Last edited by JoeMeg; 11-26-2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: added two more pic's

Not exactly a "build specific" post but I'm excited none the less.Salesman for one of the local industrial supplies has been trying to get his foot in my company's door for a while now and I have been sending rfq's to him. Anyhow, He set me up with a nice 1 ton,10' lift pull chain type hoist WITH a load holding brake. This will make removing,but,especially setting,engines and trans's so much safer and more accurate. The sweetest part,brand new unit........$40 Sometimes being purchasing mgr has it's perks! New hoist,

Replaced this one,

Joe.
    Last edited by JoeMeg; 11-28-2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Added pics.

+ Reply to Thread