1st generation axle bearings

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1st generation axle bearings

1st generation axle bearings

Hey early attex junkies,
    I measured and posted a picture/diagram of the 2 styles of the 1" axle bearing.

I have some helpful info in the photo details.

The outside of the axle is smaller then the inside. So make sure you press it the right way. If when pressing them out, you mushroom the axles some. Just grab your angle grinder and grind it off. Also before you press, grind the axle sheer pin holes. Usually they elongate some and create a raised edge that interferes with the bearing pressing off. A file would work too but you cant plug a file into the wall socket.

I just bought 12 (6 per machine) outer bearings(the style on right of picture) off ebay for....
    Subtotal: US $25.92
    Shipping & handling: US $4.80
    Total: US $30.72
    Not sure of quality but I mounted them and they seem great.
    Cheap enough at US $2.16 each.

6205 2RS Double Sealed Bearing 25mm x 52mm x 15mm - eBay (item 150403592009 end time Mar-08-10 13:52:42 PST)

Found them cheaper yet here, dang it, lol.
    http://baileynet.com/index.php?dnfwd...ileyno=150-958
    Last edited by LarryW; 03-06-2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: added cheaper link

littleford68 has both styles on one attex lol he has the ones on the right on the two front axles and the other four are the style on the left this is going to be fun getting bearings for it
    1996 MAX IV ,KUBOTA DIESEL
    MAX II 30HP Bandolero

Good info Larry!

Quote Originally Posted by countrycummins99 View Post
    littleford68 has both styles on one attex lol he has the ones on the right on the two front axles and the other four are the style on the left this is going to be fun getting bearings for it
    My 208tt had both styles too but figure someone swapped them out. My 225 had the square ends on the last axles and the bigger flanged style on the front.

For the one on the left that has the spherical OD. I used this but didnt put that press fit collar back on and didnt use the outer bearing flange seal.

http://medias.schaeffler.de/medias/h...12RzH7?clrsb=1

I found this. It says it has a taper bore though I found "UK bearing inside diameter is tapered for mounting the shaft with a sleeve adapter. This unit is widely used on long shafts or irregular shafts where the application can be operated safely for extended periods."
    http://www.kramp.com/shop/action/ite...t+ball+bearing

Also found this but cant find one for sale.
    http://medias.schaeffler.com/medias/...B;bgCLLJ0Mv2A4
    Last edited by LarryW; 03-07-2010 at 10:58 AM.

I found some spherical bearings I think may work. I edited them into the last post.

My next quest is to find the seals on the outer part of the flange. I will post my results.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
    I found some spherical bearings I think may work. I edited them into the last post.

My next quest is to find the seals on the outer part of the flange. I will post my results.
    I need seals too
    Cave Trolls Rule!

is there any special way to get the bearings out, i have both designs

Hey littleford,
    I should have labeled those bearings A and B or something but... Anyways, Im going left and right according to my picture.

Left- You have to pressed the axle out of the whole bearing/flange assembly first. Then to take the bearing out of the flange you need to turn it 90 degrees in the housing. On the back side of the housing you will see 2 little cut outs where it needs to come out sideways. Put the housing in a vise or something and put a smaller pipe, long extension, what ever, into the bearing bore and use that to get it started. Sometimes you may have to hit it with a hammer to finish the rotation.

Right-You can press the bearings off the axles before or after taking the housing of. But it is easier on the internal snap rings and the groove to press the bearings the axle off last. So I recommend taking the bearing out of the housing with the axle still in. So with the axle/bearing assembly off the machine, you will see a internal snap ring inside the bore of the housing. It is on the back side. Take that out with internal snap ring pliers and then the bearing OD is a slightly tight fit. But the housing will slid off the bearing. Then once the bearing is out of the housing, press it off the axle.

Both styles make sure your pressing the bearing off on the wheel side of the axle(outer), not the sprocket side(Inner).

thanks larry so far i have three done and they were cake but now im having trouble getting the pins out of three of the axles to slip the hubs off

Quote Originally Posted by littleford68 View Post
    thanks larry so far i have three done and they were cake but now im having trouble getting the pins out of three of the axles to slip the hubs off
    Looks like you have been coming along.

I have been lucky in that point and never had problems with the pins. Its always the sprocket tubes or wheel hubs that are a pain. In that case I pull pins and run it around to they break loose.
    If its a wheel hub you can still remove the axle and other then putting in a vise with heat I really dont have any tricks for that. Heat may be difficult to because you are going to be heating the hub when you need to heat the axle. A good sturdy vise that dont wiggle/move the whole bench does help alot when you are breaking something loose with a big huge honking size hammer.
    Even a cement floor with it braces right under the pins.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

+ Reply to Thread