Briggs Vanguard 14/16HP & 18/20HP Engine Upgrades and Identification

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Briggs Vanguard 14/16HP & 18/20HP Engine Upgrades and Identification

Briggs Vanguard 14/16HP & 18/20HP Engine Upgrades and Identification

OK everyone, I'm going to try and help anyone out that might be wondering about upgrading or identifying the 14HP/16HP or 18/20HP Briggs Vanguard they have. This has been discussed before, but I'm going to lay out all the details for everyone.

First off, if you have a 14HP Briggs Vanguard in your Max or Argo and want 2HP more, inexpensively and easily, this is for you. This is also a good way to tell if you have a 14HP or 16HP Vanguard (I know, it usually says the HP on the air cleaner decal or you can trace it by the engine ID tag). The 14HP and 16HP are both 480cc engines and are pretty much the same with 2 minor differences. First, the 16HP has a slightly larger carburetor venturi. Pick up a 16HP carburetor (off ebay or Craigslist) for your 14HP Vanguard and bolt it right on. Next, remove the exhaust manifold and look in the exhaust ports. If you see one of these little power robbing b@stards in each of the ports, then you have a 14HP engine. All you have to do is simply remove these pieces of junk with some pliers and you're set. Now with the new carb and no restriction in the exhaust, you have a 16HP engine.

The same goes for the 18HP and 20HP Vanguards. They share the same displacement as each other, 570cc. The 18HP Vanguards have those darn exhaust restrictors in the exhaust ports of the heads and a smaller single barrel carb. The 20HP Vanguards don't have the restrictor rings and they have a 2 barrel carb, but you'll have to get the carb, intake manifold, carb spacer, and tin air cleaner bottom if you want to upgrade your 18HP to a 20HP engine.

Here's a picture of one of those power robbing restrictor rings found on the 14HP and 18HP Vanguards. After you remove them you'll want to turn the plastic tab on the carb for the fuel mixture to richen it up so you compensate for the freer flowing exhaust you now have.
    Attached Images
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Dude,,,, great info here buddy!!!!! I think everyone should know and have this information. We all want those few extra ponies out of our lil machines. I remember when i had my 16hp in my Hustler i was thirsty or info, and before then when I rebuilt a 18hp vanny for my 93'' Max II, i stayed looking for more. I appreciate your research and you sharing it with all of us!
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Yes thanks for the info jpswift. I had always wondered about the difference between the 18hp and 20hp vanguards. I knew they were both 570 or 580cc but wasn't sure how there was 2hp diiference? Now I know and its actually an easy fix to get that extra 2 horses. Thanks

J.p. if you buy a new two barrel Carb, will it come preadjusted?

tatooman

I have a dual throat Nikki carburetor that came on my 23 hp , Briggs Vanguard V-twin. I'm going to install a mikuni carburetor in it's place that has low speed and high speed jets that I can replace. I need a carburetor with jets in it so I can tune it for the free flowing pipes that I had built , and for K&N air cleaner. I'll sell my used Nikki carburetor to any one that is interested for half the price of new, and you pay to have it shipped.
    Last edited by mudbug3; 03-23-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Has anybody tried pulling the exhaust restrictors without doing carb upgrade?? My guess is run lean or stumble without more fuel supply. Just asking

Quote Originally Posted by msafi65 View Post
    Has anybody tried pulling the exhaust restrictors without doing carb upgrade?? My guess is run lean or stumble without more fuel supply. Just asking
    I just did on the 18HP Vanguard that I'm swapping in my Attex 'Lil Truck. I'll let you know what the results are.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by msafi65 View Post
    I pull them on everything I own (at least 4 machines with the stock 18hp) and I have never had any issues with it.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

In Michigan out annoying the neighbors in something that has a motor in it!
    Thanks JP!
    The trouble with retirement is.... I never get a day off !!!!

Yup,, no problem with mine either!!
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

+ Reply to Thread