New Hustler project...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New Hustler project...

Ran it around a bit today, and had the engine running for a half hour or so to clear out the crap fuel and varnish. I need to run some seafoam through it too. Ordered some tires, got a couple of tubes in. Driver side rear axle inner bearing is completely shot...the one under the engine. I'll have to dig it out to find out what it is, but I'll probably just pull the rest of them and replace them too. Middle and rear driver side axles both have the axle bolts missing, have to order those. All idler rollers are toast. I'm going to relocate the throttle back to the right steering handle. Right now I'm thinking I won't even put the passenger seat or engine cover back on, I'll just weld up a utility deck for it, and run some sideboards. Also need to weld up a receiver mount for the front and rear. Sigh...so it's time to pull the frame.

At least I'll be able to paint it, and do some additional work on it.

Dropped four of the rotted tires off to get them tubed, yesterday. Picked them up today, shop refused to do one because of the condition...so I brought it home and did it myself. That one's holding up fine...but one of the tires the shop did is losing air. Looks like they pinched the tube. But it's good enough for now, I drove around for a few thousand feet. Got the one axle pinned (5/16" bolt, btw...if anyone wants I can put the Mcmaster Carr number in this thread, but you guys probably already know this). I spent a couple of hours yesterday running degreaser and water through the tub, clearing out years of impacted, oily crud. I think I got most of it out. Had to drill a couple of drainage holes in the center C-channel to drain stuff out.

Now it's off to do some plumbing work.

Pulled the rear driver side axle out, had to cut the bearing race and bust it off with a chisel. Shaft looks reasonably clean though. Then pulled the completely trashed inner bearing out. Retainer's in good shape, marked "Aetna 52MST". Monday it's off to the bearing house to find a new bearing. I'm just glad I could pull that bearing out without having to pull the engine. I pulled the tubes today too, cut up an old inner tube and reinforced the valve stem areas with a 4" diameter section of tube. I'll see if that works...the air leaks out of the tubes were right at the base of the stems. I'm also going to ditch that throttle control the previous owner did....going back to the throttle control on the handle. Might try to find an ATV thumb throttle or something similiar.

Outer bearings were Fafnir G1103KPPB3, outer retainer was S1103K. Inner bearing was replaced with a NAPA RA100RRB unit. It'll work for now.

I re-did the throttle, used a cannibalized mountain bike brake lever off one of my old bikes. After all the hacking, the cable barely made it as far as length goes, but it's workable. None of the new tubes holds air, lol. IAC, managed to run around an hour or so today...even with crap tires this things lots of fun! Took the wife out for a ride, didn't know she could hit that note at that volume. Hmmm.

I'll be pulling the entire frame out within the next few months, planning on doing a utility bed mod. I'll keep with a military theme, I'll use some extra duece and a half paulin bows, and make a top cover for a bed, along with a canopy for the driver and passenger. I'll keep this as a two person rig. Also dropping on a MFC rack, and a water can rack. Have a few of the pioneer tool sets around, so one of those will be mounted, along with a military radio mount. I'll do a couple of antennas too, probably set up a HI-Q screwdriver rig on it for HF. Still waffling about the pintle mount for the M60 GPMG. I"ll drop in a couple M16A1 racks too...those are floating around in the parts bins. Should be fun!

this sounds a lot like what I just found in a bayou not far from my house the lady let me have it just to get it off her place. so 2 jeeps later and I have it at my house. there is one lever on the right side "brake???" I believe and there are two levers under the left side "not sure what they are" there is a yellow Kohler engine haven't got the model number yet and I have no idea on how to verify what trans is in this thing

Yep, sounds like the same thing....nice find!

I'll take a few pics tomorrow of mine and post them up so you can compare. Mine's been hacked more than a bit though, but it's got the same Kohler K341 engine. I'll bet it's a T20 trans in it.

Quote Originally Posted by ganding View Post
    this sounds a lot like what I just found in a bayou not far from my house the lady let me have it just to get it off her place. so 2 jeeps later and I have it at my house. there is one lever on the right side "brake???" I believe and there are two levers under the left side "not sure what they are" there is a yellow Kohler engine haven't got the model number yet and I have no idea on how to verify what trans is in this thing

First off, you got a Hustler for free, that's GREAT! if there are 3 levers, you probably have a factory split shift Hustler, meaning one side can be shifted into forward while the other side is in reverse, giving it counter-rotating ability. The other lever on the left is for the emergency/parking brake. The yellow Kohler K321 engine means your Hustler is most likely a mid to late 70's Hustler 950 model. It will have a T-20 transmission in it, which is still made today by Recreatives. Amphibious Six-Wheel Drive All-Terrain Vehicles: MaxATVs - Call 1-800-255-2511
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

could you tell me the place in Michigan by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by ganding View Post
    could you tell me the place in Michigan by chance?
    What place in Michigan are you referring to? If you're talking about the place in Indiana that's Richard Clark/Route6x6. Avoid him at all costs or you'll get extremely frustrated and go broke trying to get your machine up and running.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread