Hustler spinger anyone?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Hustler spinger anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Bazooo guy View Post
    Gear it down a tooth or 2 after the t20 and it will have tons of torque.
    Splined axles will be the next upgrade but am just looking to get it driving and ready for the summer and the next big get together, Im not very tech savey so when you say gear it down you mean taking the 24 tooth and replacing it with a 22 tooth? and are you talking just the sprocket the chain from the transmission goes to, or do I have to gear all the sprockets down?

Bazoo guy means add a bigger sprocket on the center axles only. You don't have to make any other changes to the other sprockets. You can cut the smaller sprocket off of the sprocket tube with out damaging it (a hacksaw works nicely if you don't have a lathe...) and replace it with a sprocket with a couple or several more teeth. Are you running 24 tooth primary sprockets on the center axles?

With a 24 tooth primary sprocket, stock T-20 output shaft sprockets, stock driven clutch diameter and a 22" tall tire, the Rotax will honestly propell the Hustler to about 45-50mph if the engine is running well. No joke. I've run two different 503s in one of the Attexes, and I decided to gear it down (add teeth) for the races at Ashtabula. (That's the "R" in my avatar on the Polish Hill at Ash')

If you're looking for stump-pulling power and don't give a darn about speed, you can really bump up the primary sprocket size on the center axle. My Hustler 980 has (I think... ) 40 tooth primary sprockets. With the engine spinning around 3000rpm the machine is really moving quite quickly (but that's with 26.5" tall tires). I bet you could gear down to 30 teeth on those primaries and never miss anything off the top end.

Check out these performance curves to really drive home *where* this engine is making most of its power. http://www.rotaxservice.com/documents/503perf.pdf

Ill be running 26" tires, ill have the extra weight from a springer build and would like a happy medium in torque and speed, no need to do 50mph (yet), don't want turtle speed either but would also like to be able to make it up a steep hill as well.

With the 503 rotax you should be spinning the tires on the way up the hill.
    Land speed for a stock hustler is 35mph.
    Great link hydromike
    I like the torque specs around 5500 rpm

Nice, think ill try stock gears then maybe a 30 and 40 tooth. Now to find a hill

Your cvt will stay in low gear when you climb a steep hill.
    Gearing will give you the torque you need for bigger tires and change the top speed.
    When my clutch shifts to high gear I have to let off the throttle and run around 5000 rpm (until I get a roll cage installed)
    If your tires are oversized you should consider a gear change to get more low end torque.

so heres my thinking, any input would be great. welding key stock onto the axles and replacing the sprockets with new keyed hubs on all axles, also the diameter varies on the new sprockets by about 0.58" what effect will that have on the machines, thoughts? opinions?

Rotax 503 arrived today, and all parts, exhaust, clutch oil injection. Hustler goes in the shop tomorrow for fan work should be complete in about 10 days.

I shall call it.........

Not sure what I should name this beast, but shes almost ready

Last edited by Mike; 08-09-2013 at 04:01 AM. Reason: merged two threads on the same topic to keep the discussion together

VERY COOL! Nice work. Is it ready for a shakedown run?
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread