Max II with no power

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max II with no power

Max II with no power

I recently bought a 1999 with 16 HP vanguard. Ive adjusted the belt and chains from what Ive found on this website. Adjusting belt seemed to give it a little more power, but I went thru some sloppy water/mud and it just bogged down and got stuck. It didn't even have enough power to spin the wheels. (I took a 300 Honda 4 wheeler right thru, so it really wasn't that bad of a spot) giving it throttle, there is no "snap" it sort of ramps up the RPM's, really doggy. When I went to load it up, it had a hard time even climbing the ramp into the trailer. Ive also noticed that it is getting a lot of oil in the air filter thru the breather, maybe this is related?? bad rings? I really want to love this thing, if it ran right im sure it will be a blast... right now Im just frustrated with it. I know the 16 hp is on the small side, but ive seen enough videos of what these can do that is obvious something is very wrong. Im not the most mechanically inclined, but If anyone can point me in the right direction, id appreciate it. Or anyone on here in N.E. Wisconsin that works on these? Thanks

#1. Check for spark on both cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by backnblack64 View Post
    I recently bought a 1999 with 16 HP vanguard. Ive adjusted the belt and chains from what Ive found on this website. Adjusting belt seemed to give it a little more power, but I went thru some sloppy water/mud and it just bogged down and got stuck. It didn't even have enough power to spin the wheels. (I took a 300 Honda 4 wheeler right thru, so it really wasn't that bad of a spot) giving it throttle, there is no "snap" it sort of ramps up the RPM's, really doggy. When I went to load it up, it had a hard time even climbing the ramp into the trailer. Ive also noticed that it is getting a lot of oil in the air filter thru the breather, maybe this is related?? bad rings? I really want to love this thing, if it ran right im sure it will be a blast... right now Im just frustrated with it. I know the 16 hp is on the small side, but ive seen enough videos of what these can do that is obvious something is very wrong. Im not the most mechanically inclined, but If anyone can point me in the right direction, id appreciate it. Or anyone on here in N.E. Wisconsin that works on these? Thanks
    Welcome to the Forum,

if You can't get it to come around I can help Ya out. My place is 5 miles west of Sheboygan but I don't have problem with pick up N delivery.

Just puttin' it out there..

Make sure you are pushing hard forward on the sticks. The springs, if you have them, don't hold the sticks all the way in gear and it can cause the transmission to grab under light load but slip under heavy load.

Edit: Just reread the part where it bogs down so this probably isn't the issue.
    Last edited by Mike; 04-28-2015 at 08:12 PM. Reason: retract original statement

Bnb64. I just trashed a 16 HP on my max4 ,it ran but not with any power.check the timing,the spark is made at the flywheel ,some times,for whatever reason the flywheel will slip on the shaft,its made to do this and is saved from damage by an aluminum woodruff key.I think u can see if it slipped by takeing the pull start stuff off and looking to see if shaft and flywheel key slots line up.hopefully its not like mine was as someone replaced my key with a steel one,when it sled on the shaft it tore out two chunks of steel from the shaft.

I checked and it has spark on both cylinders. Dollar bill, hope that isn't the case! didn't get a chance to check that. Nubs, I am up by Marinette, roughly 1.5 -2 hrs from you.
    Ill PM you and see if we can figure out a time we could meet, maybe I can get it down there this weekend. Thanks for the replies guys, I hope I (or Nubs) can get this figured
    out soon... starting to get the dreaded "buyers remorse"

PM received and sent.

+ Reply to Thread