My Defender 460 build

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Defender 460 build

My Defender 460 build

Many of you know of the Defender 460, a homebuilt plywood 6x6. The Defender is loosely based on the Mechanix Illustrated Marauder.
    http://www.vintageprojects.com/go-ka...ix-wheeler.pdf

Unfortunately, the original Marauder plans haven't been available for almost 30 years. The link to the study plans I provided does not give enough information. Not to mention the transmission assembly that is alluded to is also NLA. It appears that the designer of the Defender took the original layout and modernized and improved it.

Well I am starting to build the Defender but I am modifying the design considerably. I am also getting some styling ideas from Tonka.

I cut up the wood and a carpenter friend assembled it. Now I am fiberglassing the seams and epoxy saturating the wood. This is similar to the process used in wooden boat building. (WEST system)
    Last edited by brian19600; 10-08-2015 at 04:03 PM.

The transmission is for an early Dixon zero turn mower. They used to be all over eBay but I am not seeing any currently
    Last edited by racerone3; 10-08-2015 at 06:17 PM.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

yeah I got one off ebay a couple months ago. I put new bearings in it and just have to finish re-assembling it.

I've pondered throwing the trans off my old Dixon in a 6x6 for years. Might have to try it next time some old beater machine follows me home
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I had considered using a couple hydrostatic zero-turn transmissions (I think from Surplus Center) but it would have been around $700 shipped. I paid $75 for the friction cone transmission.

I have a Dixon for sale. Runs and cuts, needs a seat , battery , some TLC and cones for the drive. I also have an extra drivetrain for it that also needs cones. $300. Will take trades!

liflod what do you think of the cone style transmission? Is it tricky to adjust?

Quote Originally Posted by brian19600 View Post
    liflod what do you think of the cone style transmission? Is it tricky to adjust?
    Lance might have a different opinion, but I thought it was simple to rebuild and adjust. Best advice I got when redoing mine was to cut the main shaft out of it and get a new one rather than trying to get the cones off the old one. I think the new shaft was ~$12.00. I also replaced the main shaft bearings while I was that far along.

cool project...if was me I would do a layer of glass on whole tub...but what do I know about glass...maybe just a bit...6 years in industry
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Not much problem with the adjustments. I fabbed an adjustment gauge for mine. It's just a triangle with a relief cut out of it so you can square the cones with the frame and keep the cones perpendicular with the frame. Once the cones are so far worn, you can't get the power out of it.

+ Reply to Thread