Post trail ride tire servicing

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Post trail ride tire servicing

Post trail ride tire servicing

Racerone3, did you mention some do-hickey/contraption to break the tire beads or was i getting too much sun on that day? I do recall brushing on the garden hose and wet vac to clean them out subject. Joe.

Here you go Joe. I built this in Jr High shop class to dismount go kart tires, but it works pretty well on our bigger tires too.
    if i break a bead on the trail and filled it with mud, when i get home i'll remove it from the machine. break down one bead, stick the garden hose in there till it runs clear. dump out whatever water i can, and then use the shop vac to get the rest.
    the only thing i would change on the bead breaker i built would be to make the center post moveable to be able to use it with larger tires.
    Attached Images
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thanks Brian! time to start accumulating some leftovers at the shop and sweet talk the die welder. Joe.

Depending on how dry you want the inside of the tire, I use the small diameter tube on the shop vac, then hook the vac hose to the output side of the shop vac so it blows air around inside the tire, I add a couple blue paper shop towels in there too and they swirl around and help get any water. The reason I want it dry is 'cause I glue the bead on the rim with permatex high tack (glue in a can) . Preferably let it dry for a few days before use. To dismount tire, I soak the bead area with mineral spirits to soften the permatex as I pull the bead back from the rim.

The things we have to do when not owning beadlock wheels And then there's the ultimate argo wheel fix, besides the glue, I drill through wheel and tire and bolt and nut the tire bead to the wheel with 15 machine screws. And then Slime the inside to seal the threads. All this work because I bought argo 9" wheels a couple years before Matt made the mudd ox wheels. I have one of his wheels on my response 'cause I ruined one of the 8 argo wheels. It required no glue, screws, slime, nothing. Mounted the tire, can run it at 0 psi if I want. Lewis, I think you should try the permatex on the front of your HDI tires. Well, all of them actually. Get the wheels and tire beads very clean and dry, sand any rust, and brush on a thick coat of the high tack from the raised wheel bead on out, as well as the inner edges of the tire bead. you might just be able to get down to comfy psi.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

I have a similar manual tire machine (Tire ChangerByLarin - Mills Fleet Farm ) it works surprisingly well. Have done tires from my argo all the way up to a 33" tire. The only thing I have extra is some tire pry bars that is use to remove it completely from the rim. A little soap and water in a spray bottle lets the bead slip off and seat easily. Found best way to seat the bead is pull the core and use a blow gun with a rubber tip (not an tire inflator nozzle). It sure beats trying to break a bead with jackall. The machine makes a nice solid platform to remove the tire.

Harbor freight used to sell one very similar to Brians, but this is what they have now Mini-Tire Changer Hey Roger, what is the permatex product name? I was going to use the tire bead sealant used for aluminum wheels, but permatex probably glues better.

I have that little harbor freight changer, and manage to use it, but the bigger one they sell is what everyone likes, I hope you're not correct that they dropped it from their product line.

The glue is Permatex High Tack gasket sealant. Comes in a 4 oz can w/ a brush in the lid. Part # 80062. Similar to the old aviation permatex from decades ago but different. It is marketed as a gasket positioner and sealant as well as a thread sealer. It doesn't dry hard for a long time, and even then is still a little tacky. The can says acetone, hexane, some kind of rosin, and acrylic polymer. Says to remove with laquer thinner, but I use mineral spirits or paint thinner to spare the paint on the wheels if I have to dismount a bead and clean it. I still get debris jammed up in the bead area sometimes from such low psi, the tire looks like it's getting peeled off the rim. I coat the rim all the way out to the edge as it protects bare metal if it's lost it's paint. It dries slow, I like to assy a wheel tire and then let it bake in the sun for days up to a week as it is slow to harden. My theory is that the tire bead gets "lubricated" in mud holes and dismounts easier than if just getting pushed around in dry ruts. I recommended it to an atv guy who's tires were spinning on the rim and it fix that problem. It is some sticky, gooey stuff to work with and clean up after, disposable gloves would be nice.

I can't say this will work on every tire and wheel combo, but it's the best I've come up with so far. I do get everything very clean and dry, a final wipe on the wheel and tire with carb cleaner or laquer thinner so the glue adheres good. Also sand away any rust on the wheel. I think the main thing that makes it work is it sticks good to rubber.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Thanks for the permatex info Roger.
    I did a search on harbor freight tire changer and the other one did not come up. I know thier website does not have eveything the stores sell listed, so maybe it is still available. Or maybe just under a different name.

Hey all, if anyone has a "Princess Auto" around (maybe only in Canada) they have small tire changers like those, and they have the bead breaker as well. This is the unit I have.

8" to 16" tire changer | Tire Changing Equipment | Towing | Princess Auto

Or for you U.S. people "KEN TOOL" has a complete line of tire tools.

Ken Tool - A Leader in Automotive Aftermarket Tire Repair Tools
    Just some info to help you all out.
    If it looks like you can't make it, you probably can't, but what the hell you can call in sick tomorrow......right?

+ Reply to Thread