22" Argo Tires

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 22" Argo Tires

22" Argo Tires

I'm preparing to splurge on a set of 22" Argo tires with rims for my Max II. This will let me save my Goodyear Rawhide 21" for track use.They are really pricey ($195 per tire/rim) but I am hopeful they will outperform my Rawhides in mud and swimming. Any experience here with them on a Max II?

I think I would go with the 24" Frontier tires if I were in your shoes and gain a little more ground clearance. It's amazing how much another inch of ground clearance can help. I think either way you go though, those would be good tires for your Max. There are a lot of other threads on them and the major downfalls were sidewalls that supposedly puncture more easily than others and the tires seem to roll under the wheel a little when you skid making it a little more unstable compared to other tires. Then again, there are a couple of threads where members have had sidewall problems with their rawhide IIIs.

Eldon, you may want to check these out
    http://www.princessauto.com/search-p...word1=atv+tire
    they are balloony and soft maybe just what yur lookin for
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

I'm looking for good swimmers Charlie but I will check out the link.I was looking at the new Argo tires yesterday in both 22" and 24".The dealer told me that the new Argo tire has 4 ply sidewalls which is where the improvement is over the old Run-A-Muks.A buddy is kind enough to let me borrow three off his new Frontier to try and check out the clearance.The dealer insisted on putting 5 psi in a 24" and it measured exactly 24" when inflated.None of the 22" were mounted on rims so it was hard to tell their diameter but I'm guessing close to 22". It certainly is a lot of money but with luck and my 21" Rawhides for tracks should do me for a long time. I do like the idea of the 24" Mike as they are the same price but only if I can install them without alteration or hassle.

I have looked at the Stryker tires at Princess Auto before Charlie, and for mudding they would be fantastic at a fantastic price but they won't swim at all.The site indicates they are not a Princess Auto stock item but that stores may have some existing stock.I looked at some in Moncton,runs in my mind that they did have six at that time.They are for sure an impressive looking tire.
    Mounted on rims they are about 65% of what I'm looking at.If swimming wasn't so important to me they would be the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon View Post
    I have looked at the Stryker tires at Princess Auto before Charlie, and for mudding they would be fantastic at a fantastic price but they won't swim at all.The site indicates they are not a Princess Auto stock item but that stores may have some existing stock.I looked at some in Moncton,runs in my mind that they did have six at that time.They are for sure an impressive looking tire.
    Mounted on rims they are about 65% of what I'm looking at.If swimming wasn't so important to me they would be the ticket.
    I had the Duro version of the Strykers on a Max II and they wouldn't swim at all. I modified the tread by cutting off the 3 knobs between the bars and it turned them into a pretty decent swimmer. Took about 35 minutes per tire. The tires were on the machine when I got it, and the mod was way cheaper than new tires. I just got another machine with Strykers and plan to do the same mod to them.
    Attached Images
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Max II Tub Mod

I am very interested in the 24" Argo Frontier tires for my Max II.I borrowed a set virtually new that measured exactly 24" to the top of the paddle with 5 psi.This measurement was with it off the machine so the machines weight will squash the bottom a little but still will measure 12" from wheel center to the top of the paddle.I found the back tire no problem,the middle tire about 3/8" clearance from the tub to the highest point of the paddle,tire to tire distance was perfect.The front tire was another matter,for about 1/4 of the circumference of the tire it rubbed lightly on the tub on the right side on the left side the heads of the mounting bolts for the winch control fouled it a bit worse than the right side but the winch control could be relocated. Question: How much clearance is comfortable considering top will bulge a little when skidding and bouncing over objects plus there should be a little clearance to allow for expulsion of mud? Question #2: How do I modify the tub to accomodate my requirements? Those 24" tire are superb and the same price as 22".To me if it is do-able it is worth some hassle for the improved ride and performance.My machine is 8 years old/250 hours,I realize there will be some body sag but it's not apparent visually.

Eldon, I just merged your two threads since the topic is somewhat similar. First, I wouldn't run the Argo tires at 5 PSI. I would put a max of 3PSI in them. You will be surprised what just that little bit of pressure difference will do to the diameter. That itself may give you the clearance you need.

If you do run them at 5PSI, the 1/4" of clearance will not be enough, particularly when you get up to speed and the tire begins to expand. It will rub the tub. You will have to modify your tub. Just take a small propane torch and heat the tub evenly on both sides (inside and out) and make sure you move the heat all around the tub above the tire. You can make yourself a wood mold and shape it to the diameter of the tires and push it up into your tub with a jack. See this picture:

Thanks Mike.The dealer insisted on 5 psi.Personally I never run over three psi and you are right it made quite a difference in the diameter and yes barely clearing at rest is no good when under stress.Your body mold is interesting though frightening,LOL.I did wonder at the 5 psi insistence at the dealer if it was for dismounting reasons when skidding as I think I prefer RI's K rim.You are right those 24" tires dwarf the 22". I want a set...........bad! LOL.Your mold is a good idea.I believe I need about 3/4-1" clearance for the issues discussed.I wonder if I can get that by heating the lower body flange and jacking up the entire flange for an overnight sitting.?

Eldon, I bet you are right about the 5PSI, the dealer is may be recommending it to keep the tire on the bead. You do bring up a good point, I think while you are buying new tires and wheels you should definitely get some k-locks.

For the body, I wouldn't try to raise the entire underside unless it was sagging. If it is already sitting level, you may end up distorting the tub and the fit between the upper and lower body would not be the same. I think it would be better to just heat the body over the front four tires individually and mold it that way. It really doesn't take long to do and is fairly simple once you get in there. Let us know what you decide.

+ Reply to Thread